ISO 50001 is an international standard, which specifies on requirements for the organization, implementation, maintenance and improvement of an energy management system. It supports the organization in pursuing a systematic approach for a continuous improvement of the energy performances, energy efficiency and energy consumption.
This international standard specifies the requirements which apply to the energy consumption, including measuring, documentation and reporting, design-and purchase procedures for equipment, systems and processes and for employees who contribute to the energy performances.
ISO 50001:2011 offers a frame of requirements for organizations to:
- Develop an effective policy for a more efficient use of energy;
- Formulate and realize objectives which meet the policy;
- Set objectives regarding energy saving;
- Assign the areas of energy use specifically;
- Continuously improve energy management.
ISO 50001 is based on the system model of continuous improvement, which is also being used for other known standards, such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001. This facilitates organizations to integrate energy management in the general operational management or in the existing quality system. The ISO 50001 is applicable in every organization, regardless of its size, branch or location. The standard is especially relevant when you operate in an energy intensive industry or in one that has to do with legislation.
The Draft International Standard ISO/DIS 50001 was approved in November 2017, and the new version of ISO 50001 is expected to be published in 2018.
What are the benefits of QMS International?
- QMS International offers the possibility of certification within 45 days;
- It applies a pragmatic and standards-based approach;
- An independent and ethical attitude;
- Qualified auditors for several ISO-standards with excellent knowledge of the industry and standard(s);
- Non-bureaucratic approach towards our customers;
- No unexpected costs and delays;
- Extensive worldwide experience with management systems.