ISO 14001 is an internationally recognized standard in the field of environmental management. An environmental management system in accordance with this standard is aimed at controlling and improving environmental performance. This not only concerns the environmental impact of business activities, but also the processes and life cycle of products and/or services.
If your environmental management system is certified on the basis of this standard, you can demonstrate that you comply with legislation and regulations and that your organization strives for continuous improvement of its environmental performance. An additional advantage of limiting your negative environmental effects is that your raw material costs (such as gas, water and electricity) can possibly be reduced.
The compliance with laws and regulations is one of the basic requirements in the ISO 14001. This compliance can be demonstrated by means of the points below:
- Identifying and keeping the relevant legislation and regulations up to date;
- Translating the requirements of legislation and regulations into your own organization;
- Evaluation of compliance with laws and regulations;
- Management review.
A combination of ISO standards is possible because the ISO 14001 standard is based on the “High Level Structure” (HLS) just like the ISO 9001, ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO 45001 standards. This means that the structures of those standards are identical to each other and allow you to integrate them into one integrated management system (IMS).
FOR WHOM IS THE ISO 14001 INTENDED?
ISO 14001 is suitable for all companies (large or small, industry or services, profit or non-profit) that want to demonstrate that they comply with environmental laws and regulations and thus manage various environmental risks. In addition, you show that your company strives for better environmental performance and builds a sustainable future.
THE FOLLOWING 10 CHAPTERS ARE COVERED BY THE HIGH LEVEL STRUCTURE:
- Normative references
- Terms and definitions
- Context of the organization
- Performance evaluation
WHAT ARE THE MAIN ELEMENTS OF THE ISO 14001?
- Developing environmental policy at a more strategic level;
- Better connection between environment and business priorities;
- More transparency and accountability in environmental management;
- Emphasis on the positive contribution of the standard for environmental management systems;
- Explanation of requirements for improving environmental performance;
- Emphasis on the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) concept and the consideration of the value chain in the identification and assessment of environmental impacts of products.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF QMS INTERNATIONAL?
- QMS International offers the possibility of certification within 45 days;
- It applies a pragmatic and standards-based approach;
- An independent and ethical attitude;
- Qualified auditors for several ISO-standards with excellent knowledge of the industry and standard(s);
- Non-bureaucratic approach towards our customers;
- No unexpected costs and delays;
- Extensive worldwide experience with management systems.
The following EA-codes covered by the DAkkS accreditation:
ISO / IEC 17021: 2015 – ISO 14001 – EA codes: 17/2, 18, 28, 29/1, 33, 34/1, 34/2, 35 and 39.